Monday, February 23, 2009

International Lip Service

My first stop when I landed in London last month was Topshop. Literally, my first stop. I didn't even bother waiting for the bellhop to deliver my bags to my hotel room. I traded in my dollars for pounds and hit the street. A short walk from The Crowne Plaza, St. James stands one of the UK's 300 Topshop retail outlets. 

I made a beeline for the sale section, in hopes of filling my arms with as many pounds of Topshop apparel I could carry, for as little pounds as possible. As I scanned and slid each hanging treasure behind its former, I stopped when I spotted this printed party dress.


Immediately I could picture Patricia Field hand selecting this print for one of Carrie Bradshaw's quirky outfits. I had to have it. It was speaking to me, saying, "I'm one of a kind. I turn heads. Bring me home to the states and I'll make you the envy of everyone who sees me. I'll spice up your post graduate wardrobe with a hint of youthful flirtation. And I mean, hello, February 14th is right around the corner. If not then, when?"


For a bargain, I invited the flirty frock to make the voyage with me overseas. I donned it for my sister's 25th birthday party in SF. I balanced its overtly feminine print with a grey three quarter leather bomber. The corseted strapless was a smashing success. Plenty of attitude with a hint of risk. 

To my delight, my dress was featured in the February issue of Nylon, the holy grail of hip fashion magazines. 


Each month, Nylon features a pile of newsworthy themed goodies. The contents of this mythical Mary Poppins' bag are sprawled across the last page of the magazine to leave the readers with a lingering taste of eye candy, and in this case, some Hershey kiss candy. This month, my Topshop lip print dress is featured in "Bag Check." I knew this dress wasn't lying to me when it said it promised to be the life of the party, as well as the page. 


And that's no empty lip service. 

No comments: