Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hit the Bullseye with These Spring Frocks

Shopping lists work in the grocery store. They work in hardware stores. You write down what you need in an orderly fashion. You take your list with you into the store and check each item off as you toss it into your cart and continue snaking your way down one isle and up through the next. You OCD folks, like me, might double check your list as each item floats down the conveyor belt toward its temporary plastic home. You leave with everything you came for. Not a thing more, save the occasional impulse pack of gum or travel size sanitary wipes (shout out to my fellow germophobes).

This is never the case at Target. I've stopped writing lists when I go to Target. Complete waste of paper and ink. Kudos to the buyers, marketers, and product display managers at Target. It's like they know exactly how to entice you into believing you simply can't pass up the $16.99 Mossimo black leather studded belt to perfectly cinch all the new dresses you just purchased. And all those shoes... man, they do a great job imitating the big wigs. 

So you can understand how I gleefully power walked through the row of those great big red rosary beads outside and into my shopping black hole. Target, you temptress. I went in to scout out the brand new Alexander McQueen McQ line for Target. I've been counting down to March 4th for months now. After two trips to the fitting room and some really impressive (read, irresistibly persuasive) product placement, I left with 6 dresses and one versatile belt to cinch my newly decorated, different dress for each day of the week, waist. 

Let me explain why I simply could not put a single one of these frocks back on the rack.

Exhibit A: Alexander McQueen® for Target Tiger Print Shift Dress - Ebony/Pink, $44.99

Why I had to have it: I couldn't leave without one piece from the McQ line I've been looking so forward to. As a blonde, I feel very confident pulling off shocking pink. 

Exhibit B: Go International® Zip Dress w/Mesh Uniform Blue, $34.99

Why I had to have it: A fully functioning silver zipper. Love those metallic unexpected details. And the clincher, hello, POCKETS. I'm such a sucker for pockets. Did I mention the March 2009 Harper's Bazaar says, "Cool Blue" is a Smart Shopping spring trend? I wisely passed up the suggested Michael Kors dress ($1,395) from Bergdorf Goodman for this sassy look.

Exhibit C: Go International® Side Ruffle Dress - Smokey Taupe, $39.99

Why I had to have it: The latest issue of Bazaar says, "It's all about natural tones: Creamy BEIGES and notable NUDES." Who would I be to disagree with Glenda Bailey?

Exhibit D: Go International® Braided Strap Dress - Ebony, $39.99

Why I had to have it: I'm powerless against braided straps on anything. Plus, the way this silkly layered fabric opens up at the bottom like a blooming tulip is really interesting. And you can never have enough LBDs. Never.

Exhibit E: Go International® Strappy Colorblock Dress Zodiac Night, $29.99

Why I had to have it: It reminds me of cool London street style and I can totally see myself popping around town in this colorblock frock when the weather turns warm. And for now, it's going to look bangin' under my leather jacket.

Exhibit F: Juniors Xhilaration® Floral Tiered Dress - Black, $21.99

Why I had to have it: Spring. Florals. It's a pretty basic argument.

And the belt is completely justified as the capstone piece which holds together all 6 of these beautifully feminine frocks. (It's so much fun to call dresses frocks. Try it. You'll be hooked, I'm warning you).

So hurry into your nearest Target store and snatch up Alexander McQueen's McQ pieces for Target. Hurry in. McQ leaves Target April 14th. Watch a video about how The Duke Spirit inspired the line here: http://www.target.com/Alexander-McQueen-Design-Shopping-Directory/b/ref=sc_iw_r_12_0/181-0301237-6451139?node=1260398011.

Walk out of Target with just what's on your list. (And no adding items once you're inside.)

I dare you.

No comments: